Welcome to Clave!

The Shadow World is full of whispers and rumours that Valentine Morgenstern, renegade Shadowhunter, is alive and well. Not only that but speculation is spreading that the cunning Nephilim is searching for one of the most revered treasures of the Shadowhunter world - the Mortal Cup. With it, he could create an army that would make his former Circle look like a group of missionless fanatics.

But the Clave are prepared. For years they have been summoning the second born of Shadowhunter families and training them especially as part of an Anti-Circle organization. If Valentine tries to recruit his old followers again, the Clave will be ready, and this time the Circle would be fighting against their own children....

Nephilim
52 M
60 F
00 NB
Warlock
28 M
29 F
01 NB
Vampire
16 M
17 F
00 NB
Werewolf
20 M
21 F
01 NB
Faerie
07 M
07 F
00 NB
Mundane
09 M
15 F
00 NB
Demon
03 M
01 F
00 NB

REPLY NEW TOPIC START POLL

In A Burning Room, Maryse | June 14
Evangeline Lightwood
 Posted: Mar 20 2018, 01:45 PM

Age // 17

Posts // 39

She/Her

Location // New York

Sexuality // Heterosexual

Status // Single + N/A

Via + MST

After talking to her father about everything that was going on, Eva felt ready to talk to her mother. She hadn't seen their mother since the meeting with Izzy and Alec and she was honestly nervous about it. They both did bad things but she couldn't ignore the way Izzy got burdened with the secret of the affair. She wasn't necessarily upset with the woman but more disappointed. Even though Eva was young she wasn't naive. The stories of how Maryse and Robert used to be swirled around the Institute quite often and even more so in Alicante. From the sounds of it, Maryse seemed to be the more intense one of the two of them. Eva knew there was no reason to worry but she still felt the swirl of anxiety in her stomach.

The Anti Circle was the response to everything the Circle once stood for. Eva knew her parents had been trying to rebuild their family name ever since they received their punishment. Deep down she wondered how much of the sentiments they used to feel and believe remained. It wasn't anything she ever voiced to anyone but it lingered there in the back of her mind. Unfortunately, she was most suspicious of her mother. She never let it become apparent but it was always lingering in the back of her mind. Despite her reservations, Eva found herself seeking out Maryse.

She took in a breath before going to where the woman was, giving her a bit of a guarded smile. "Mom, can we talk?" Eva inquired, shutting the door behind her. She knew that it was a bit odd, being so formal about it. She did feel a lot of pressure from her parents and sometimes it prevented her from feeling more comfortable around them. Hopefully their conversation would go well and wouldn't end in anymore hurt feelings. Neither one of them needed to deal with that anymore.

just can't understand
Maryse Trueblood
PM
^
Maryse Trueblood
 Posted: Mar 22 2018, 06:25 PM

Age // 38

Posts // 88

She/Her

Location // New York

Status // Divorced. +

"You can't understand. You've never been a parent. You never love anything like you love your children."

Louise + GMT-0

Maryse was returning some books to the library. She'd pulled a late night last night reading into some old case files and finishing up some old reports. Not to mention that admin work had piled up quite a bit on her end since all the drama with Hodge. Maryse had stepped in to try and manage that as best as she could. She hated scenarios she couldn't control or deal with herself. Contacting the Clave felt like a sign of weakness but it wasn't like the New York Institute could have held the man indefinitely. Now he was back in Idris and things were beginning to settle down again. After last night, at last so was the paperwork.

Most of the books were in one section but another book was on one of the higher shelves. Maryse descended a few rungs of a nearby ladder and slipped the book into place. She was just descending the ladder when she heard footsteps approaching her. Looking over towards the person, Maryse smiled in greeting when she saw that it was Eva.

“Eva, of course we can talk,” she told her as she stepped away from the ladder. “What's on your mind, Eva?”

Tag Evangeline Lightwood

--------------------
user posted image

Credit goes to the lovely Heart for my avatar and signature and gifhunteress for my gif
PM EMAIL
^
Evangeline Lightwood
 Posted: Mar 22 2018, 10:54 PM

Age // 17

Posts // 39

She/Her

Location // New York

Status // Single + N/A

Via + MST

The smile on Maryse's lips made Eva feel much less nervous talking to her. Her mother intimidated her but at the end of the day she was still her mother. Eva knew she could trust Maryse with anything, even if it was tough to talk about. She wanted to return that trust. She knew it was more complicated than just getting her mom to trust her but she figured if she could offer any sort of comfort, she'd try to do so. Eva returned the smile and crossed the room, going to stand by the ladder. Her eyes took in all the books before she looked at Maryse again.

"How are you doing?" Eva asked softly, her tone implying that she was asking about the recent turn of events. She didn't want her mother to feel all of the blame for the situation. She was at fault, yes, but so was Robert. Scenarios arose because of two different parties, not because one person did something and the other person didn't react. Eva was still angry with both of her parents and just wanted some answers from her mother. It wasn't clear how this would turn out but Eva hoped they could have a conversation without any drama.

"I haven't seen you since you told us about the divorce. I wanted to talk one on one about it. I know that it's all complicated and messy. I just hope everything can be okay with Max. He's still so young and I know he doesn't quite understand but..I worry about him." Eva said softly, running a hand over the side of her shirt, letting the material's feel distract her for a few moments. She hoped Maryse wouldn't think she doubted her. It was quite the opposite; Maryse was one of the strongest people Eva knew. She admired her and wanted to confide in her.

just can't understand

Maryse Trueblood
PM
^
Maryse Trueblood
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 11:29 AM

Age // 38

Posts // 88

She/Her

Location // New York

Status // Divorced. +

"You can't understand. You've never been a parent. You never love anything like you love your children."

Louise + GMT-0

Things had been so strained and confusing over recent days. A lot had come to the surface that Maryse would rather have stayed buried. Not only that but there was all sorts of dramatic revelations about Hodge too. Maryse marvelled that the man had managed to keep that a secret, not only from them but also Valentine. It unnerved her how capable he was of it. She could understand why he'd done it. It was the best thing he could have done for Celine even if it meant tearing her from her brother. He'd just gotten lucky that Valentine had left the room with Jace first. But still, this was a secret that had cost Hodge his remaining goodwill with the Clave and his freedom. If Valentine was indeed back and he found out about this, well the Gard would be the safest place for Hodge right now. But all in all there were many things now in the light that still needed examining.

Evangeline's question took Maryse by surprise. With the way things were in the family, Maryse hadn't been expecting any of her children to ask or even care how she was. But Eva had and it meant a lot. Maryse allowed herself a small smile as she considered her daughter's words. “I'm all right, Eva,” she said as she climbed down the ladder towards her. “It's been a busy time.” Of course she knew what her daughter was most likely referring to but the statement was true nonetheless.

Listening to Eva worry about Max, Maryse felt so much pride for her daughter. But then again, all of the siblings cared so much for Max and what was best for him. Although Maryse wasn't keen on discussing the divorce. But her daughter had asked reasonably. Maryse supposed they could keep it brief. “I'm not sure what else there is to tell you Eva but you can ask your questions.”

Tag Evangeline Lightwood

--------------------
user posted image

Credit goes to the lovely Heart for my avatar and signature and gifhunteress for my gif
PM EMAIL
^
Evangeline Lightwood
 Posted: Apr 18 2018, 08:31 PM

Age // 17

Posts // 39

She/Her

Location // New York

Status // Single + N/A

Via + MST

Eva was relieved that her mother seemed to be doing alright. She didn't expect less of her but knew that she was feeling the effects of it probably more than anyone else. Her siblings had their own take on it and so did her dad. Her mom was no different. Thankfully, Eva had come to terms with her initial feelings about it and wasn't as upset. Well, at least not on the surface. It was still extremely fresh and it was going to be difficult to move past it. There were little to no expectations in her mind that it would all be resolved soon; that just wasn't realistic. A gentle smile rose on her lips as Maryse answered her question, her lightened hair moving around her face a bit as she nodded. "It has. It feels like the world's been turned upside down. Not only with us but with Hodge and the new discoveries with Valentine." She answered, speaking truthfully about it.

Now, more than ever, it was completely possible that Eva and the rest of the Anti-Circle would have to go up against Valentine. A part of Eva was worried but she trusted her training and abilities. The rest of her felt an intense desire to prove herself. She was a Lightwood and was beyond capable for this. She just hoped that they could suppress him before he caused too much damage and destruction. She was not only worried for the mundane world but the Downworlders too. Valentine would probably follow a similar pattern of attacks from the first time the Circle was around. It was something Eva wished to ask Maryse about but didn't know how well it would be taken.

Eva thought of all the things she wanted to ask Maryse and tried to keep the emotions from getting the best of her. It wouldn't help to turn this into an outburst. That wasn't Eva's style, anyways; ever the diplomat she would try to ask her mother about in a way that would get the answer she wanted without creating too much tension. "Why did you tell Izzy about the affair and not me? I could've handled it....Izzy was so young. She's still young. I know that as Shadowhunters we have to grow up fast but...I just feel bad that both of you had to hold it in for so long." Eva said, frowning as she readjusted the stele in her pocket. "I don't blame you, though. It's an awful thing, that Dad did that and you have to deal with it coming out again." She continued, sighing. Maybe she wasn't making as much sense as she wanted to but she was trying to get her point across. "I know things are changing but I hope that our sense of family, at least with Alec, Izzy, Max, you, and I doesn't change." Family. That was what Eva truly wanted at the end of the day.

just can't understand

Maryse Trueblood
PM
^
Maryse Trueblood
 Posted: Apr 24 2018, 02:04 PM

Age // 38

Posts // 88

She/Her

Location // New York

Status // Divorced. +

Louise + GMT-0

Listening to Eva's admission about the family's world being flipped, Maryse was faced with one very powerful reality, the real impact of her and Robert having covered up their marriage troubled. They had created such a perfect picture that the family image had shattered and no one had been prepared for it. There had been no way of breaking it to them gently or easing them into it. It had been a sudden violation of everything that had known. For a second, hearing her daughter's words, Maryse wished that she had been honest. It wasn't the first time she'd wished it but it had been a while since that feeling had flooded her insides so much.

“I'm sorry that it has,” Maryse said honestly, “we expected that we would keep this up for the rest of our lives.” Maryse had never envisioned a scenario where they would step away from their marriage. Tradition and their family had held them together like sticking tape over a crack in the world. Never built to last but the easiest thing to do than having the tough conversation and ending a dead marriage. It could have been worse of course. She and Robert could have gone on to hate each other especially after what he'd done. That was one of the few good things that came out of staying married. Another was the years of family life they had had together.

Eva did raise a good point about Hodge though. “As much as I want to say that I wish Hodge had been honest with us, that would mean that you all wouldn't have grown up with Jace and he is a part of our family now.” Of course, she knew that by admitting this, she was saying that she might have willingly deprived Celine of a brother for the sake of her children having another one. It wouldn't paint her in the best life but Maryse was being honest. As sympathetic as she was the girl, Maryse owed the Herondales nothing. Besides she believed that they had given Jace a good life. Could Amatis have handled two children on her own? She was unmarried and alone otherwise.

Maryse stiffened as Eva didn't hold back with the next question, a hard punching one. Why did she tell Izzy and not Eva? “Izzy was with me at the time when my barriers, my instincts to protect the family were low. I was very down and I had this secret bubbling away. I also recall that I had been drinking. It wasn't a good combination. I knew that if I told you, I would have to tell everyone else. It's not a decision I'm proud of making but that was my thought process at the time.”

She reached out and took Eva's shoulder. “It's very disrespectful to our marriage, for sure,” she told her daughter, “but it's not awful.” She could have said that there were far worse things that she and Robert had done that would really earn the word awful but she didn't say them. That information, while she wanted to keep quiet about it, wasn't technically a secret if her children ran into enemies of the Lightwoods. Which was pretty damn possible all things considered. “We weren't working out long before the affair came along,” Maryse told her daughter. “We thought we could work it out when I had Isabelle and then Max.”

She hoped that none of her children would end up in a marriage like hers and Roberts. As much as she wanted them to make a respectable Shadowhunter match, she wanted them to love that Shadowhunter too. She needed her children to make better choices in the world than she and Robert had.

Evangeline's wish was sweet and Maryse smiled lovingly at her daughter when she expressed it. She was glad to hear her daughter keen on keeping their family sense as much as possible. “Even though your father and I are divorcing, we are determined to still be a family in the ways that matter. We will always be your parents and nothing is ever going to change that,” she vowed to her.

Tag Evangeline Lightwood

--------------------
user posted image

PM EMAIL
^
Evangeline Lightwood
 Posted: May 1 2018, 12:24 AM

Age // 17

Posts // 39

She/Her

Location // New York

Status // Single + N/A

Via + MST

It hurt Eva to know that her parents planned on keeping the happy couple facade up for the rest of their lives. Yes, they did have four children to look after but she thought they deserved at least some semblance of happiness. There were many, many things Eva didn’t understand yet. She was only 17 and knew that her wisdom was nothing compared to what she could learn in even five years from now. It was hard to keep herself from assuming things too much but it was a necessary. She finally shook her head in response to her mother’s words, a heavy sigh leaving her lips. “It was bound to happen eventually, right?” She offered in response, frowning as she shrugged. It was a sad way to view it, she knew, but something of that magnitude needed to be worked on or else it would wither away. That seemed to be at the very root of what happened with her parents but there was so much more.

The comment Maryse made about Jace had Eva nodding in agreement. “I feel the same way.” She said softly, biting at her lip. She and Jace were never extremely close, in fact they could butt heads quite often, but she still considered him to be her brother as much as she considered Alec and Max her brothers. “It just proves you can never be too cautious.” There was no degree of over-cautiousness in their world. Literal demons lurked around every corner but the most dangerous threat was when their own kind betrayed each other. When Eva thought about her parents being in the Circle, she tended to get upset about it. How could they fall for Valentine’s charms? Yet again, Eva knew that their times were different and people often viewed the past through rose-colored glasses. It was a nice thought to think they could prevent what once happened but in reality no one could.

Maryse’s answer about telling Izzy instead of her made perfect sense. It was a spur of the moment thing that forced both of them to hold the secret inside after it was spilled. Eva knew that it was nothing personal; she couldn’t be expected to protect everyone. Life just didn’t work that way. “I understand better now. I knew it wasn’t intentional or anything. Part of me just wants to….protect everyone, I guess.” She said, shrugging softly. It wasn’t such a bad trait to have; it just meant that she grew much more disappointed in herself when she couldn’t do it. Her eyes met Maryse’s as she grabbed her shoulder, looking up into her familiar face. She could only nod, understanding what the older woman meant. There were worse things out there but Eva could only focus on the personal aspects of it right now. It was easier to cope with that way.

Izzy and Max came after the affair? Now that was surprising to Eva. She didn’t really quite have an exact time frame for when it all happened but she wasn’t expecting it to be that long ago. It just proved that children, no matter how wanted, couldn’t fix problems. Eva saw that in some of her friends’ lives and now she saw it in her own. It was just yet another thing to get over, another thing to learn from. Thankfully, although Eva was upset, she wasn’t completely distraught. She still had both of her parents in her life and they both cared for her. It was much better than some other outcomes of this all. “Thanks, mom.” Eva said with a soft smile, calmed by the reassurance.

Now that was out of the way, Eva’s mind went to a couple other things. She was thinking more and more about life after graduation. It had always been her plan to graduate in December since that was right after she was officially 18. She had good enough marks to do it too but lately she had second thoughts. It was only 5 more months of training but that didn’t matter. It actually meant 5 more months of having some semblance of having less responsibilities. Her plan was to figure out the situation without help but now that she was here with Maryse and she was in a slightly vulnerable mood, it would be as good of a time as any to go forward with it. “I need your advice.” Eva began, thinking of how to put it. “Lately I’ve been thinking about what I should do...I know I can graduate in December but I’m not sure if I should wait until May instead.” There were pros and cons to each part and she hoped that her mother could help her feel less confused.

just can't understand

Maryse Trueblood
PM
^
Maryse Trueblood
 Posted: May 12 2018, 05:57 AM

Age // 38

Posts // 88

She/Her

Location // New York

Status // Divorced. +

Louise + GMT-0

Maryse's lips pursed pretty hard when her daughter said that the split was inevitable. Even though it had already happened, her pride still wanted to believe that it was other circumstances that caused them to split, not fate. She didn't like the thought that it was always going to happen, that they were both going to fail in the marriage regardless. It was easier to accept that outside forces had gotten in the way and therefore less embarrassing. But perhaps that was the overachiever in Maryse. Failure had never sat well with her. Not in the Academy, not in the failed Uprising and now not in her failed marriage. But as much as she wanted to cling to the idea that this hadn't been inevitable, enough time was passing since the decision for her to accept that maybe Eva was right.

“You may be right.” She told her daughter. “Who knows when it would have happened if not now?” It was a stressful time to be sure now but there was nothing that had particularly triggered the divorce even if Maryse really wanted to believe that there was.

Evangeline was proving to be a very wise young woman and Maryse was proud to listen to her comment about caution. It was always better to be cautious than not. Valentine had been a careful man. The Uprising had been planned rather than some spontaneous act of violence and that was why it had been so effective. Planning the attack to coincide with the Accords and making sure there were enough followers getting involved, these were particularly strategic movements that had paid off at least somewhat. Not that Maryse wanted to compare her daughter to Valentine but unfortunately Maryse couldn't deny that the man had exercised a lot of caution. Now, because of the Circle, the Clave would be even more cautious.

She was glad that Evangeline understood how Maryse's slip hadn't been a conscious choice. “If I could have chosen a child to tell, I would have been loathe to make such a choice. But you already have more on your mind than the others, with the Anti Circle. Sometimes I worried that Isabelle turned out the way she did because she needed to let off some steam from the burden of what I told her. But I think your sister is just strong in that way.” Of course Maryse didn't approve of the dating Downworlders thing but she trusted that Isabelle would grow out of that. “I know that you would have held onto my secret well too,” she added. She wasn't suggesting that Isabelle was any stronger than Evangeline. “And the same goes for the boys.”

Maryse was very glad to get off the subject of her marriage failure and the affair, when Evangeline asked her advice. She shut the metaphorical door on that conversation and smiled when Eva explained what it was she needed advice with. It was a considerable dilemma, Maryse realised. Graduating early was very prestigious on a Shadowhunter's reputation. But it sounded like Eva was quite uncertain about it. Like she didn't feel ready. Shadowhunters who rushed into things often brought trouble on themselves later down the line and that could reflect poorly too. “You are a very talented Shadowhunter, Evangeline,” Maryse told her. “Do you feel like you will be ready in September?” she asked. “Only graduate early if you are sure you can. If you're not then taking the extra term to solidify your knowledge is not shameful.”

Tag Evangeline Lightwood

--------------------
user posted image

PM EMAIL
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONS REPLY NEW TOPIC START POLL

Affiliates
Resources & Directories
Sister Sites
Static
Scrolling